Monday, April 20, 2009

Bicycle Trip 2009

A blog about a laden bicycle, thousands of kms of ripped up asphalt and mud, a few 4000m+ mountain ranges, enviromental damage of the Aral Sea, and lots and lots and lots of steppe ...

About 3 years ago, I read a fantastic travelogue / webpage about a Swiss guy that rode from Switzerland to the Taj Mahal in India. It seemed like a pretty bad-ass idea. After finishing up the Ph.D. at Stanford, I knew that I would be looking for a bicycle challenge. So, I managed to secure 5 months of vacation time before starting in Perth, Australia. Just enough time to put some major distance in Central Asia under my wheels...
I'm flying this Wednesday to Kiev, and have planned a journey that takes me overland across Ukraine, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and China. So far I've managed to secure 3 or the 4 visas that I need ... and have to get the Chinese one somewhere in Central Asia.

I'm superbusy these days running many errands, and I'm looking forward to the splendid isolation of the open road ... 48 hours before jumping IcelandAir!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jeff,
    We met briefly in Las Vegas during the SEG's CUPS meeting. My name is Shahryar, student from Petroleum Institute, Abu Dhabi if you remember. Anyhow...
    1. What you are doing has always been a dream of mine; even if I had the lazy, drive-around version in my mind.
    2. It has been great going through the posts and photos. Keep it up, they're amazing.
    3. I don't know if you have mentioned it in the blog yet or not, as I have only started reading them, but could you mention somewhere how much you estimated the trip to cost, and in then in the end add in how much it actually cost please? Thanks.


    Great stuff man. An absolute pleasure to read.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Cheers
    Shahryar

    ReplyDelete