Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Day 90, July 26, Tamga (Valley Climb Day)

61km - 5484km, hot 35C, 10km/h tailwind up valley, 0 shots, 0 Lenin, Homestay
Woke up fairly late, had breakfast, and belated decided to ride up the neighboring Barskoon Valley. Having asked around, it was my understanding that the 35km road up to the 3600m pass was paved. I packed a few things needed for alpine climbing (warm clothes and spare parts) and rode over to the next town, arriving at 1300h. Reaching the road up to the pass (and on to the controversial, Canadian-operated Comtor gold mine), I noted a lack of paving and lots of nice gravely bits on a good hard-pack dirt road. I started the long, slow uphill climb and eventually reached a deep gorge with very steep sand road. I almost turned around, but was glad that I persisted through the hard sections when the road became harder packed again. Had some nice 12% climbs on sections of the road while upwardly weaving to and fro across the Barskoon River. By 1500h, I had made it 20km up to a nice waterfall with good views up the valley. With inclement weather coming approaching, I decided not to ride the next even steeper 15km up to the pass, lest I be in the middle of a raging snowstorm at elevation.
Pointed my bicycle downhill and rode about one km before stopping to filter some mountain water. The family from a neighboring yurt invited me for shashlik, which was much better than my prepared bread/cheese lunch. Had a good time heading down the next 19km with as much speed as I dared for the road conditions. (Water trucks were spraying the road to keep dust down as well, adding to the cycling enjoyment.) Made it back to to the guesthouse where I met Melisse and Rob, a Dutch couple who had brought over a shitty $100 tandem bike to do some uphill cycling until it broke down. We went to dinner at another recommended cafe, and it was quite nice to be able to share dishes instead of only being able to order one! Heading back to the hotel, we passed a disco, but after taking a look at the sub-16-year-old clientele decided to give this one a pass. Read more of a borrowed SciFi book, sipping a beer and eating dried fish - an addiction gained during the cycling trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment