Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Day 29, May 26 - Chapaevsk - Samara

50km - 2037km, Sunny 18C, 20km/h tailwind, 0 shots, 0 sauna, 0 Lenin, HC

Woke up and had a delicious breakfast of fried eggs and mashed potatoes. As I was getting ready to leave hotel, the owner asked (again) if I wanted to go home with his hired Uzbeki help. (What is it about motel owners in Russia peddling out their hired help? this is the 3rd or 4th time it has happened? Maybe roadside motels are lowkey prostitution fronts?) Hopped on the bike and road the 35km into the edge of town (which was about 30km long following the left bank of the Volga). Found my way into town and arrived at the WWII plane monument that was the arranged meeting place with Gulya, my Hospitality Club host for a couple nights. Got more specific directions and my way to the flat.

Unpacked my things and washed off the sand plastered to my bike. Had a quick lunch and tea break before promptly falling asleep on the couch for an hour. Headed with Gulya out to the Zhigaly Gate, a beautiful bend in the river where a ridge had been through cut by the Volga. Had a few beers watching the sun go down, and then took the maxicab back to the city center. Had dinner and then watched a few episodes of House MD (in English!) before heading to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment