Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Day 55, June 21 - Outskirts of Orenburg - Orenburg

15km - 3670km, hot 32C, no wind, 0 shots, 0 sauna, 1 Lenin, HC

Had off/on again sleep during the early morning hours listening to my newest, most favoritest, Ruskie pop music tunes. Eventually woke up around 930h, packed up the tent, ate a few hard-boiled eggs and then headed out on the road to meet up with Ruslan (my HC host in Orenburg) by 1100h. I thought that it might be about 23km into the town, but to my joy it turned out to be only 12km or so. Found Ruslan's flat and eventually worked my fully-loaded bicycle and myself into the lift. Had a shower and then ate breakfast while chatting with Ruslan about his Orenburg-themed website and his corresponding capitalist web-advertising dreams.

At 1500h, we headed into the town center to do a bit of sight-seeing. First stop was the brewery, where we grabbed a couple of liters of local suds directly from the taps. We then headed down to the Ural River, which for most of the CIS countries represents the border between Europe and Asia. Had a few sips on the European Bank, watching the Sunday afternoon strollers-by, while I was getting up the courage (energy) to walk over to Asia.

Eventually we walked across the 50m bridge and I had my first footsteps on the Asian continent (only Antarctica to go!) We walked along the beach area for a while before heading back to Europe and grabbing a mashrutka taxi back up to the flat. Ruslan's mom had made some delicious plov for dinner, so with a full belly I caught up on some blogging and photography transfer, and then hit the sack!

No comments:

Post a Comment