Sunday, June 21, 2009

Day 50, June 16 - Kazan - Tatarskiy Sarsaz

145km - 3076km, hot and sunny 35C, M light side A strong headwind, 0 shots, 0 sauna, 0 Lenin, Camping

Awoke at 500h and packed up my things to head out. Had a quick conversation with brother Steve about finding out some things for my Chinese visa (that's a future headache that I'm not looking forward to...) Said goodbye to Adel and thanked him for hosting me for 7 days, and then got on the road out of town. Rode along pretty well in the morning, stopping for a Sprite break now and then (normally I don't like Sprite, but its sugary deliciousness does me good when cycling in the heat!). Had a quick plov (meat, veggies and rice) lunch and then cycled over the bridge for the east branch of the Volga system. It was pretty damn hot, so I decided to take a 45 minute break on the sandy shoreline under some trees.

Turned nearly due east and rode over some rough pavement a few kms inland of the river. Nice, flat agricultural land with lots of 2-foot wheat shimmering in the light. Stopped for another Sprite break, and sat in the shade of tree trying to stem the flow of water out of my body - have to get that sunscreen on. Rode another 30km or so and stopped to grab some water at a shop that only sold fish and beer. A mid-40s couple heard my plight and offered (insisted?) on driving to a nearby cafe and buying me water. They returned 10 minutes later with 5L of water, 1L of juice, 1 loaf of bread, and 15 breadlets (and would accept no payment!). This is the type of hospitality that I have been on the receiving end of! Rode a little bit farther and began to feel pretty tired, so I grabbed a few products and the local magazin, found a nice camping spot about 3km down the road, and settled in for a 10-hour sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment