Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Day 12, May 9 - Belgorod - 22km South of Gubkin

115km - 850km, warm and sunny 16C little headwind, 0 shots, 0 saunas, 0 lenin, Camping, 4th flat tire

Woke up and went down to the complementary (for that money it better be) breakfast. It being quite delicious, I filled up my belly pretty well to get me through the morning. Headed out slowly at 11.00h, when I noticed that one of the spokes on my back tire had broken. Got out the tool kit and 20 minutes I had new spoke (still going by day's end!) Rode another 10km, when I noticed that my front tire was getting a little bit soft. Found the piece of glass embedded in my tire, pulled it out and fixed the puncture. Started rolling again and had reached about 72km when I pulled off to a cafe and had borsch and more shashlik (delicious grilled meat!). Rode another 13km or so and then found a nice wooded road to ride up. About 300m or so up the road, I crashed into the woods 25m, found a nice flat place to camp close to a large field and set up for the night. There must be others somewhere nearby, because I hear the faint echoes of Russian electronic dance music from over the hills.



6 comments:

  1. Dude, You've already made it to Mother Russia?! I'm impressed. I'm also impressed at the number of things you've managed to get lodged in your tires.

    Keep up the posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dima(Kiev): keep moving, Jeff! Reading your blog is like riding by your side:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff, inspired by your example I rode 55 km yesterday. To get the full experience, next time I'll be sure to double the distance and break a spoke or two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff, this is so cool!! Keep up the posts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff, waiting for your "talk" tomorrow morning~
    by the way, we have seperate rooms for every student this year since not enough sponsors are coming

    ReplyDelete