Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Day 17, May 14 - Voronezh - 80km from Borisoglebsk

160km - 1198km, warm and sunny w/ periods of rain, 40km/h tailwind!!!, 16C, 0 shots, 0 saunas, 1 lenin, Camping

Set my alarm for 7.30h and woke up to an overcast and windy day. After about 15 minutes, I realized that it was strong 40km/h west wind - and that I would be heading due east for much of the day! Packed up with glee and took off about 9.30h. Headed perpendicular to the wind and hit up a cafe after 12km for eggs and rice with tuna salad. Made it the 24km more down to the Saratov turn off, where I rounded the bend and had the 40km/h wind to my back. Immediately picked up the pace and started averaging about 28km/h! Rode for the good part of three hours barely getting off my bicycle, and made it to Anna (100km!) by 15.00h. Had some shashlik, coffee, and a disgusting Russian energy drink. Rode along another 20km until it started to rain. Pulled off for ice cream and shelter, and eventually got back on and rode the final 40km of the day. Found a nice wooded area, pulled in and had my delicious mushroom and bean stew (bought at the gas station) for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment