Monday, May 4, 2009

Day 3, April 30 - Chernihiv - Borzna

125km - 265km, 24C sunny to overcast little wind, 3 shots, 0 saunas, 0 lenin, Hotel

Started off the day quite well, heading south from Sasha's place on the main highway out of town. After 12km, I turned on to a fairly quiet country road and soon encountered some of my first headwinds. Not too hard, just about 15km/h or so, but was enough to slow me down. Slowly moved along the road eating up the 80km to the main highway. Stopped a number of times for juice, coffee and biscuits on route. Sadly, the cafeterias don't offer much in the way of meaty goodness things, but I have been eating more packaged salted fish than I ever expected.

Eventually made it down to the main highway, which was up to European standards. Immediately, I noticed a 10km/h improvement in my speed due to the reduced rolling friction. Quickly made up 40km along the road, and ended up in Borzna, a quaint small town with out much tourist appeal. I found the hotel, and was immediately befriended by Roman, a half drunk weightlifter that had a very limited vocabulary, but enough to help me get a room. showered up with no hot water, and then headed with Roman to the cafeteria to eat a large supper - Borscht, Ukrainian country potatoes, Macaroni salad, cutlets (meat cylinders) and the requisite 3 shots of vodka and a few beers. Eventually I grew tired of Roman's good-natured, but over bearing, 'Jif, I have question'. The hotel staff was going to lock up the hotel at 22.00h, so an early night it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment