Monday, May 4, 2009

Day 1 April 28 - Kiev -> North of Oster

65km - 65km, 22C sunny little wind, 0 shots, 0 saunas, 0 lenin, Camping


Got up in the morning and packed all my things up before breakfast. Did some last minute emailing and then left Dima's flat around 9.30. Dima rode up off to the bridge over the Dneipr and pointed me in the correct direction. Started out going through large suburbs with a lot of traffic; however, traffic died off the farther away I got from Kiev. Sadly, the roads also became fairly poor quite quickly, and I felt a lot of rolling friction from the gravel-tar road-top.

Made it about 30kms, and then felt something funny in my back tire. Sadly, I had a fairly quick leak probably from over-inflating the tube by 5psi. These were the old tires that I had used in Mexico, and then were in the garage at Maddux. A little beaten up along the sidewalls, and i should have know to replace them. sigh. popped out one of my new tires (i'm down to only 1 spare now) and put it on. Quite a high quality tire with a very good inside seal - sometimes it pays to get good stuff especially when you are going to need it for 10 000 kms!

Started out again and rode 20km before stopping in a little village. Some of the locals took an interest in me, and before i knew it we were drinking vodka. Finally made it to Oster and found out that there wasn't a hotel. Grabbed a few supplies and headed east across the quite beautiful Desna River. Stopped in a cafe and grabbed a quick microwave pizza (classy), before heading out north. As the sun was going down, i pulled off and set up camp in a pine forest near a river 30m in from the road. I quickly fell asleep listening the croaking of frogs and birds chirping the last songs of the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment