Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Day 67, July 3 - Shymkent Fix Jeffrey Day

0km - 4390km, warm 30C, heavy wind, 0 shots, 0 sauna, 0 Lenin, Hotel

I was supposed to get up at 830h to meet with Michal for breakfast and then head over to the Shymkentskoe Brewery; however, with all the excitement of the night before I slept in and missed the opportunity to be surrounded by hop odors. Woke up at a leisurely 1100h, went out to catch up on some blogging over a quick lunch. My afternoon was consumed by trying to track down Lithium batteries, which turned out to be a bit of a problem as none were to be found in the city(?!?). However, I did manage to pick up a set of small USB-driven speakers and a cheap 5V solar charger that would do the trick! The rough road through Kyrgyzstan won't be so quiet any longer. I also tried to track down a little bit more English literature to take with me up the into the hills, and found a shop called 'InterPress'. Sadly, this turned out to be a TOEFL office, but it did have a single copy of Wuthering Heights (rewritten for a 10th Grader) available for a few bucks so I picked it up.


Stopped off at my favorite cafe and read a little bit more of the awesome W.R. Hearst biography over a couple of beers. Eventually ran into Michal at the hotel, and he suggested trying to find a non-meaty course of fare for the evening's dinner. This sounded delightful to me, so we headed out for massive salads and a few more pints to wash it down (his insistence, being Czech and all...). Headed back to the hotel and collected my stuff together to leave sometime in the following late morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment