Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Day 70, July 6, Turkistan (Visit surrounding tourist sights)

0km - 4555km, warm 38C, wind, 0 shots, 0 sauna, 1 Lenin, Hotel

After a sleepless few hours in the middle of the night listening to an orchestra of neighbourhood dogs barking, I finally got up at 930h and had breakfast in the local cafe. The English-speaking hotel worker offered (for a small fee :) ) to take me Otrar and Aristanbab, two great archaeological sites located about 70km from Turkistan. We jumped into his sporty red car and zipped out across the semi-desert to the oasis that spawned the historic village.
Otrar, the remains of which are located on an unassuming acre-sized mound, was one of the central towns on the Silk Road. Sacked by Genghis Khan (for the polite murder of his emissaries) and then again by a 17th Century rival Khanate, all that remains has been infilled by dust. Recent collaboration with UNESCO has unearthed a bit of the old city and hopefully in 20-30 years more of the old town site will be unveiled. Quite impressive for a 800-year-old town! Aristanbab, built by Timur the Lame (Timurlane) in honor of the man who brought Islam to the region, is also quite impressive; however, being restored in 1910, it does not give off quite the aura as the destroyed Otrar town site.




We headed back to town and I stopped off at a local cafe for a bite to eat. Sadly, I ordered the tomato salad, which, though delicious, decided to attack my digestive system with a powerful roundhouse kick that sent me to bathroom for the majority of the evening and early morning hours. My first digestive upset in three months, so I can't complain too much... but I could do without the donkey kicking in my gut...

No comments:

Post a Comment