Thursday, July 23, 2009

Day 80, July 16, 10km beyond Talas - 15km before Otmok Ashoo (Pass)

70km - 4936km, warm 35C, 20km headwind, 0 shots, 0 Lenin, Camping

Up and on the the road by 800h continuing uphill toward the Otmok Pass. Narrowing futher, the valley became more rolling with fewer settlements and more green grazing lands. (Sadly, the road quality also getting worse.) Crossing over a local maxima and reached a fantastic new 52km asphalt road funded by a load from the Islamic Development Bank that would continue up to, and over, Otmok pass.

I arrived in the last town before the steep climb up the pass and had afternoon tea with the elderly lady running the local chaikhana (tea house). Seeing the state of her electrical connection - truly something that would make electricians and 3rd grade science kit aficionados alike cringe - I almost passed on the coffee. Fortunately for my caffeine intake, she managed to successfully hook the two wires over the nails and start the electric heater. I whiled away a few hours looking across the wide plain and staring up at the snow-dusted mountains leading up to the pass.

Started up the long 23km climb to the pass around 1530h roaring at a snail's pace up the 8% grade with steeper 12% sections. Made it ~8km before the chilly rain/hail storm ascended(!) upon me, sending me scrambling for cover. Soaking wet, I decided to retire for the day around the2000m mark, and asked the local yurtsmen if I could set up my tent in their pasture area. The family happily agreed and I spent a pleasant evening playing soccer with the kids and eating dinner with the extended family in the yurt. After repeatedly explaining that my sleeping bag could in fact handle the alpine evening chill, I headed out to the tent and nodded off to the gentle and melodic overtures of braying donkeys.

1 comment:

  1. your canadian origin help you handling the chill more than your sleeping bag

    ReplyDelete