Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Day 72, July 8, Turkistan - Shymkent

10km - 4565km, warm 35C, wind, 0 shots, 0 sauna, 1 Lenin, Hotel

Still not 100% in the morning, having a mild headache and a distant thunderstorm rumble in my belly. Decided to splurge and spent the $2 on the bus ticket back to Shymkent instead of the 10-hour bike ride. Having already ridden that stretch, I wasn't too keen about traversing the 160km of hot, flat farmland. The bus ride was almost pleasant, owing to the fact that I could lean my head on had a crappy speaker (blasting the requisite Kazakh pop music). The five children around me didn't cry too much either ...






Arrived in Shymkent and pulled my bicycle out from under the bus in one piece, and headed to the city center back to my friendly hotel. Entry into the hotel was amazingly quick, as the staff knew exactly what to do. (The packed lobby just started at the bicycle being whisked away into the closet.) Read for the next few hours in the room and finished off the (highly recommended) Hearst biography. Headed to my favorite cafe and caught up on some typing, played around on the Internet for a while, and then headed back to the hotel room to do battle with the mosquitoes. Sadly, there were too many of them and after a few hours of swatting and being bitten, I went down to floor lady to get a plug-in anti-mosquito Raid device. After about 20 minutes, the apparatus apparently did the trick, as I managed to fall blissfully asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment