Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Day 69, July 5 - Tortkol - Turkistan

80km - 4555km, warm 38C, light headwind, 0 shots, 0 sauna, 1 Lenin, Hotel

Woke up with the sun and had a casual couple of hours reading and breakfasting on cold beef chunks and noodles . Packed up my stuff and headed back onto the road. Grabbed a few more liters of water at a local gas station (my main purveyor of fine foods) and rode 40km more in some pretty decent heat before reaching a good cafe with plenty of running stream water and a decent courtyard shaded by tall trees. Had lunch there (yet more plov) and whiled a few hours away during the hottest part of the day. Rode the last 25km into Turkistan, spotting the great mausoleum from many kms away.





Found my $20 hotel, set the air conditioner to 18C and maximum fant, and melted into my bed for a hour enjoying the delicious cool breezes. Headed out with my camera to the local hot spot, Cafe Nauryz (which the English-speaking hotel worker said was 'very dangerous for you' - something that he would repeat a few times over somewhat trivial things). Had more shashlik and plov ... because they were out of most everything else on the menu (a common trait at former CIS country cafes). After dinner I walked around the giant mausoleum as the sun set and the full moon rose. Played around with my tripod and expended a good percentage of my camera battery playing around. Back to the hotel room with the book for a few hours, and boning up on history of the archaeological sights heading to tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment