Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Day 88, July 24, Kochkor - 15km before Kara Koo

78km - 5320km, warm 33C, slight headwind, 0 shots, 0 Lenin, Camping

I finally managed to leave Kochkor and head north toward Lake Isik-Kol (the fourth largest lake in Asia and second deepest). Before leaving town, I first went to the slow internet cafe to update my blog (sans photos) and then headed back to the homestay to say goodbye. After photos were taken all around, I jumped on my bike and headed downhill. Quickly rode to the end of the wide valley and entered a shallow gorge that had been dammed for a hydroelectric project creating a water body with glacial lake coloring. Rode around the lake, climbed over a small set of hills, and caught my first glimpse of deep blue waters of Isik-Kol. The next 25km to the lake were pleasantly downhill, though I was slowed by headwinds.

Turned eastward and began cycling about 200m from the water on a moderately rough highway lined by tall willows and apricot orchards. Stopped at the first town on the lake and did some shopping for the evening's dinner. Saw a stretch of beach somewhat secluded from the highway with only a few parked cars. Headed overland through waist-high desert scrub until reaching the beach (and the access road). There were a few Kyrgyz families sunning themselves and splashing about in the water. I decided to jump in, and found the water a little salty and refreshingly chilling. Chatted with one man and his two sons who were going to sleep in the car by the water (for some reason they were particularly disturbed by the thought that snakes might be present). I set up camp and was then invited by another family to have some of their leftover soup. Played soccer on the beach with the two boys, watched the sunset over the water, and then snuggled into my (snake-free) tent. I may have awoken a couple times hearing some nocturnal slithering ...

No comments:

Post a Comment