Thursday, August 6, 2009

Day 92, July 28, Tamga - Karakol

87km - 5571km, cool with some rain 24C, slight tailwind, 0 shots, 1 Lenin, Camping

Woke up and headed down to breakfast for 900h, accompanied by a litter of tourists. Chatted for a while and then headed upstairs to pack and try to finish off the book I had borrowed. After giving up with about 100 pages to go, I packed up my bike, bade farewell to the Dutch couple and my host family, and got out on the road by about 1230h. Rode 20km over flat ground with a big storm chasing me eastward. Stopped at a cafe just as the cloud burst over me. After lunch I noticed that my back luggage was feeling kind of funny. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that a bottom bracket screw was completely missing (broken off? worked its way loose?). Luckily, a car repair shop was only 30m away, and they out-fitted me quickly with an extra screw. Rode another 30km crossing a few stream valleys and eventually reaching Karakol town site. Pulled out the Lonely Planet guide and quickly located the YakTours guest house with a big garden. I joined the fledgling tent community in the back (for the paltry sum of $1/night). Sadly, a thunderstorm burst upon the scene reducing the number of tenters to one. Found a cafe serving bosso laghman and Siberskaya Korona, so I opened my book and read the night away until scampering to my still-dry tent around 2400h for snooze.

No comments:

Post a Comment