Thursday, August 6, 2009

Day 94, July 30, Karakol (Bask in the sun/plan for trekking day)

0km - 5571km, sunny 30C, SW wind, 0 shots, 0 Lenin, Camping

Woke up late again and didn't feel the motivation to get back on the bicycle for the up-valley ride. Because the day was incredibly sunny, I decided to lay out on my sleeping mat and try to finish up "A Passage to India". After a reading for a couple of hours (and then sleeping again for a few more), I got up and had lunch with Will and the newly arrived Anja from Slovenia. Anja had decided to do a four day hike in the mountains south of Karakol and was soliciting for people to go with. Will decided to go pretty quickly and I, hemming and hawing for a while with some mental calculations of my remaining time, agreed after a couple of hours.



I had brought hiking boots along with in case I decided to go walking, and had cold weather equipment from cycling; however, neither I nor Will were completely outfitted with all the necessary trekking equipment. After searching around Karakol for a little while, we came across a few places that rented stoves, gas, and hiking bags. At my insistence, we also made a four-day menu and a shopping list (mother be proud) for the next day's supermarket outing. We decided to solidify our plans and burgeoning friendship with a few rounds at the local cafe, and then headed off to bed to get an 'early' start.

No comments:

Post a Comment