Thursday, August 6, 2009

Day 93, July 29, Karakol (Rest/avoid rain day)

0km - 5571km, rain and sun 18C, wind?, 0 shots, 1 Lenin, Camping
Woke up fairly late and had lunch with the Australian gal staying at the campsite. I was planning on jumping on my bike and riding up a valley to get a view of the mountains; however, by late morning the clouds had closed, with thunder echoing a warning of "do not ride!". Decided to stay put near the camp for the day and begin reading E.M. Forster's "A Passage to India", which I had rented at the nearby internet cafe for 20 cents per day. After finishing Part I, I headed out to grab lunch and do a little bit of blog-related typing. I picked up some groceries for dinner and went back to camp to finish Part II.



A few more people had straggled into the compound in the intervening hours, including an English cyclist, Will, coming from Croatia. We traded a few stories and realized that we had met a few cycling groups in common (the two Korean guys and the two Swiss gals). Settled down to cook a less-than-delicious noodle meal, and then split a few 1.5L bottles of Zhigilovsky beer (from Samara where I drank directly from the brewery!). Headed to bed fairly early to prepare for cycling the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment